Friday, May 22, 2009

I'm just saying...

So, last night I was watching a program on HBO Sports called Real Sports. I don't usually watch these kinds of things but they were doing a segment on youth sports and just happened to be featuring youth wrestling. Of course, they had to shed a negative light on the entire thing. In fact, the entire segment was devoted to parents and how they "push" their children. You probably already guessed it...it did strike a chord with me. I'm so tired of hearing other people (some who don't have children or their children are as old as I am) make their comments about how competitive sports aren’t good...blah, blah, blah! Give me a break people. If chastising me for my decisions makes you feel better for being a lazy parent and letting your kid sit in front of the TV all day and play video games...then fine.
I'm just a little confused at what the so called "experts" think is right for kids. Everywhere you turn you hear things about getting fit or eating healthy...yet, the parents who do this are ousted. We're labeled as pushy and extreme.
Sorry, but in our house being lazy is just not an option. If you want to call us pushy, fine. If you want to say our kids are over scheduled I'm ok with that too.
If you think we don't allow time for our kids to just be kids than I say...you don't know our kids.
I'm just saying...

0 comments: