Saturday, September 27, 2008

30...

I'm going to be 30 soon. I'm not sure how I feel about that. 30 used to seem so old...
Once upon a time I had certain goals and ambitions I wanted to achieve by the time the big 3-0 came...the only one I have achieved is having my family.
I wanted to be a doctor. I was going to drive a cute 2 seater BMW convertible and marry the man of my dreams (whom I was sure I would meet in med school) I would live in a giant house with a white picket fence and have a golden retriever.

I am not a doctor...in fact I didn't even go to college (unless you count that 1/2 a semester I took before I found out I was pregnant) I'm a bookkeeper...kinda ironic, I hate math and am terrible with numbers.
I drive a minivan. Don't judge...I LOVE my van.
I did marry the man of my dreams, though he's not the tall man in a white doctors coat that I have envisioned. Instead he's the man sporting the baseball cap and Dickie shorts who stinks after a long night at work. I admire his dedication to our family.
My kids...well, they are the best part of my life. Three amazing little people who have defined my life and given me the drive to be the best I can be.

I've had a great first 30 years...wonder what the next 30 has in store for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you. No, you didn't go to college, but you've done very well for yourself anyway, if not in your ideal job, at least in a good one. You've got a good husband who tends well to the important tasks in life (i.e. the kids!) and is a hard worker. And the kids - there isn't enough space here to even begin talking about how wonderful they are! It's funny how what's important to us in life changes with our circumstances. So - Happy 3-0 (we all cross that bridge!)- may the next 30 be just as good!! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

The funny thing about what we THOUGHT we wanted is that God gives us what we truly need.

If I had all the things that I had wished for when I was 18 I would be MISERABLE! I can not imagine being happier than I am now.

And....I will refrain from my standard minivan comments :-)