Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent...

The season of Lent is here again. I like this time of year, it always makes me stop and think and usually centers my life once again.
We struggled this year with making the decision on what we should give up. Video games, Starbucks, fast food, cell phones. The kids and I talked in great lengths about doing something that would, if even in a tiny little way, be our thanks to Jesus and the ultimate sacrifice that he made for us. Let's face it, nothing could really pay him back for that.
This year we have decided to read from the bible. Every night. As a family.
We've become so busy and tangled in this web of hurry up and go that somehow we have lost sense of what is real and important. It will be tough some nights. Mainly on my part. Some nights, after I have been away from the house for 14 hours, I get home and just want the kids to shower and get in bed. My endless list of chores is almost always calling my name and I just want to be left alone.
I'm hoping that we can carry this tradition even after the 40 days of Lent. I miss my nights of reading to the kids and not feeling so frazzled. Though I know it will be an adjustment for us I feel like this is a good way to celebrate the season.

1 comments:

Pam said...

I agree - pick good verses. And you will be much more pleasant with your Starbucks! :)